Welcome to Collgar Wind Farm
Collgar Wind Farm is a $750 million renewable power project at Merredin in Western Australia’s central wheatbelt. Merredin farmers have leased portions of their properties to Collgar Wind Farm for the largest single stage wind farm in the southern hemisphere to date.
The giant Collgar project has been developed by international investment bank UBS and the Retail Employees Superannuation Trust (REST), Australia’s largest superannuation fund by membership with 1.8 million members. The UBS International Infrastructure Fund (UBS IIF) retains a 60 per cent ownership of the project with the remaining 40 per cent held by REST.
The Collgar Wind Farm, built over a land envelope of 18,000Ha, has 111 Vestas V90 turbines with a power production capacity of 206MW, generating on average 792,000 MWh per year, enough to provide electricity to power a small city of 125,000 homes. This is more than double the size and power generating capacity of the next two biggest wind farms in WA, at Walkaway near Geraldton and Emu Downs near Cervantes.
The Collgar Wind Farm has almost doubled the level of renewable energy in the South West Interconnected System (SWIS) from 5 per cent to 9 per cent. Government policy has established a target 20 per cent renewable energy by 2020 across Australia.
This project generates and delivers clean, renewable electricity into the SWIS each year, therby making a major contribution to Western Australia's greenhouse gas reductions. These reductions will be equivalent to taking 160,000 cars off the road and planting 1,000,000 trees. Collgar Wind Farm will produce enough electricity to power approximately 125,000 Western Australian homes with renewable energy.
23rd October 2012
MERREDIN Men’s Shed members will finally get to build their shed after Collgar Wind Farm donated $50,000 towards the project. Collgar Wind Farm’s chief executive Mike Gilmore and stakeholder manager Carmen Hantar visited the men’s ‘currently loaned’ shed site to present the $50,000 cheque.
Collgar Community Fund
Ms Hantar said the Collgar Wind Farm had a genuine interest in building the capacity of the communities in which they operated. “A grants committee has been appointed to assess all applications and determine how best to allocate funds and in-kind contributions to maximise benefits for communities in the Merredin region,” she said.
“Any proposals put forth require the endorsement of the Shire of Merredin to ensure the community’s best interests are met as the main priority.”
The Collgar Community Fund established by Collgar Wind Farm Pty Ltd, provides sponsorship to fund local projects that benefit the wider community within the Shire of Merredin.
Collgar Wind Farm has a genuine interest in building the capacity of the communities in which we operate. A Grants Committee has been appointed to assess all applications and determine how best to allocate funds and in-kind contributions to maximise benefits for communities in the Merredin region. Any proposals put forth require the endorsement of the Shire of Merredin to ensure the community’s best interests are met as the main priority.
Business Review Australia and Energy Digital Magazine both feature the Collgar Wind Farm story in the June 2011 issues.
For the full story, please click on the links below: